Voluntary three times a week watering policy.
- Homes and businesses with odd addresses (the last number in your home address is 1,3,5,7, or 9) water on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- Homes and businesses with even addresses (the last number in your home address is 0,2,4,6, or 8) water on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
- Never water between 1 pm and 5 pm. This time is the hottest part of the day and water evaporates and doesn’t reach the plant’s root system.
- Don’t water the lawn on windy days. There’s too much evaporation. Can waste up to 300 gallons in one watering.
- Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants. Chunks of bark, peat moss or gravel slows down evaporation. Saves 750 to 1,500 gallons a month.
- Have an evaporative air conditioner? Direct the water drain line to a flower bed, tree base, or lawn.
- If you wash dishes by hand don’t leave the water running for rinsing. If you have two sinks, fill one with rinse water. If you only have one sink, use a spray device or short blasts instead of letting the water run. Saves 200 to 500 gallons a month.
- Always wait until your dishwasher is full before running it.
- Check toilets for leaks. Put dye tablets or food coloring into the tank. If color appears in the bowl without flushing, there’s a leak that should be repaired. Saves 400 gallons a month.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Saves three gallons each day.
- Always run a full load when using your washing machine.