Fall Newsletter 2022
About Your General Manager
Chris Melton has worked for the District for 18 years. Chris represents the District on the Northern Nevada Water Planning Commission, the Truckee Meadows Water Authority Standing Advisory Committee, and the Joint Coordinating Committee for the Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility. Chris holds various certifications in water distribution, wastewater human resources and public sector agency management. He strives to provide affordable, safe drinking water, wastewater services, and abundant recreational opportunities to the District.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Thank you to the Fink Family and 5 Ridges for their continued support sponsoring this year’s FREE SWIM days! Thank you to this years Movie in the Park Major event sponsor, Heritage Bank; other contributing sponsor Shaw Engineering; and other generous local businesses who donated to this years raffle: Bonanza Casino, Bully’s Sports Bar & Grill, Fly High Trampoline Park, LP Insurance, National Championship Air Races, Nugget Casino, Reno Aces, Reno Tang Soo Do, PJ & Company, Wild Island Family Adventure Park. The generosity of these businesses helped make this family event a success!
Early and General Election voting available at the Sun Valley Neighborhood Center, 115 W. 6th Ave. Call 311 or visit Washoe County Registrar of Voters for more information.
The District will be honoring all who serve and have served our country at its annual veterans celebration breakfast on Saturday, November 5, 2022 at the Sun Valley Neighborhood Center,115 W. 6th Ave., beginning at 9:00 a.m. A free pancake breakfast, courtesy of Washoe County Human Services, will be provided to all veterans, active and non-active military, and their families, along with the local community. Information and resources from various veteran and military groups and organizations will be available for handout. For more information, please call the District office (775) 673-2220. We hope to see you there!
Free Medical Clinic
In partnership with the Summit Church, a free medical clinic will be held on Saturday, October 15, 2022 at the Sun Valley Neighborhood Center, 115 W. 6th Ave. This clinic will include addressing Chronic Illness, Acute Illness, Injury Care, Blood Pressure Checks, Pediatrics. Physical Therapy, Orthopedics/X-Ray, Allergy, Immunology and Pregnancy Testing/Ultrasound. All services are FREE and available to EVERYONE in need!
Thank You Commissioner Jung
On behalf of the District and the Sun Valley community, we extend a huge thank you to Washoe County Commissioner Kitty Jung. She recommended to the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners who then approved that $35,172.00 will be granted to the Sun Valley General Improvement District for the purpose of replacing the pump room solar panels at the Robert
& Norma Fink “Sun Valley” Pool. This is a cost savings to the District and a pass through savings to the District customers.
Thank you Lifeguards
The District wants to send a special thank you to our fantastic 2022 Lifeguards; please give them an extra thank you when you see them! The health and safety of the Sun Valley Pool patrons was our priority this year. It was not easy to operate a public pool while under a national lifeguard shortage, but this year’s staff went above and beyond to serve the Sun Valley community. The District’s goal is to bring back swim lessons and pool reservations in the future, but we will need a dedicated team to do so. If you know anyone who enjoys the water, being outdoors, and helping others, please have them contact the District to be added to next year’s lifeguard interest list.
Sewer Evaluation Tips
During the winter averaging period (December to March) all residential customers are in their winter averaging period, which means that your sewer consumption charges are based on your metered water consumption. At the end of this period the billing system takes your average monthly consumption for those 3 months and sets that as your sewer “max”, which is the maximum monthly sewer consumption you will be charged for the remainder of the year, regardless of how much your metered water consumption is. Please report any leaks, outside watering or open taps by completing and submitting a Winter Average Re-Evaluation Request. For more information, please contact the District office.
Don’t let cold weather catch you unprepared. Here are some helpful tips:
- Disconnect and drain all outdoor hoses. Detaching hoses allows water to drain from your faucets and pipes.
- Swamp Coolers: Shut off and disconnect water supply, make sure to winterize your swamp cooler according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Insulate pipes or faucets that pass through unheated areas. Areas of concern may be under the home, garage, crawl space or outside faucet.
- Heat Tape: If you are using heat tape to insulate pipes, be sure to apply it according to manufacturer’s directions. Damaged or older tapes won’t warm pipes and can cause fire.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- October 1st – SVCAB Meeting Hobey’s Casino Banquet Room
- October 13th – District Board Meeting
- October 15th – Summit Church Medical Clinic
- October 27th – District Board Meeting
- October 28th – District Office Closed in Observance of Nevada Day
- November 5th – Veterans Celebration Event
- November 8th – Election Day
- November 10th – District Board Meeting
- November 11th – District Office Closed in Observance ofVeteran’s Day
- November 19th – SVCAB Meeting Hobey’s Casino Banquet Room
- November 24th & 25th – District Office Closed in Observance of Thanksgiving Day and Family Day
- December 3rd – SVCAB Meeting Hobey’s Casino Banquet Room
- December 8th – District Board Meeting
- December 26th – District Office Closed in Observance of Christmas
- January 2nd – District Office Closed in Observance of New Years
- January 12th – District Board Meeting
- January 16th – District Office Closed in Observance of Martin Luther King Jr.
- January 26th – District Board Meeting